Kitchen remodeling is not something to take lightly. It is a massive and typically expensive project but there are a lot of ways to save a few bucks on your project and still end up with a finished product that you love. Check out our list of things to consider when taking on a kitchen remodeling project below. It might save you from a headache!
- Stick To Your Budget – Knowing how much kitchen you can get for your money is a big deal! Having a fixed budget walking in will allow the contractor to decipher what kind of remodel is possible. Often times a homeowner will want to change things like the layout of the kitchen. Moving gas lines, plumbing lines and fixtures can really throw a kitchen remodeling project off budget, so one big tip is to keep your current layout unless you have it budgeted to make these changes.
- Pick Your Appliances Wisely – It often makes the top of the list for most, but do you really need that professional grade gas range? Sure they are nice, but they have a set of drawbacks including having to alter the ventilation system, making corrections to countertop spacing (they are typically 4-6 inches deeper than most countertops), and it can price out at nearly $10,000 depending on the model! Instead, look into induction ranges. They use an electro-magnet field to heat cast iron and stainless cookware leaving the actual stovetop cool to the touch. Beyond this being smart if you have little ones, it is a more energy efficient system and still provides the ease of electric with the power of gas!
- Consider Your Cabinets – Custom cabinets are always high on the list of desired upgrades when starting a kitchen remodeling project but they are a very expensive upgrade. Sure they look great because they are exactly what you want, but at what expense? Quality stock cabinets run an approximately $8,000 for an average sized kitchen, but semi custom cabinets are nearly double that! If you go full custom there is an even larger price difference! If you have a standard kitchen that stock cabinets would fit nicely in, consider it, It could save you a lot of time and money!
- Countertop Conundrum – So if you have been doing any research into a kitchen remodeling project you have probably read about the seemingly limitless countertop options out there. Choosing your countertops is much more than just aesthetics. You need to consider cost, durability, maintenance and all the other scary words that seem to make this decision an impossible one to make. In our experience the best thing to do is find a good quality contractor and let them know what uses you would like to get out of your countertops and ask what materials could meet those needs. They will provide a list of materials as well as things to consider with pros and cons of these materials. This will allow you as a consumer to make a more educated decision, or you could spend hours upon hours looking through articles online!
- Avoid Flooring Follies – Floors can make or break a kitchen and there is a lot to consider when choosing your materials. Of course budget is always a concern and vinyl flooring is the go to choice for a kitchen on a budget but they can become dated quickly and they are not as long lasting as other options. The main thing to consider when kitchen remodeling in general is to think ahead. How long do you intend on living in this house? If it is your forever home you might want to consider a material that will stand the test of time. The go to for this is always hardwood floors. Do you do a tremendous amount of cooking? If the answer is yes, cork floors a great option because they are bit softer for those that spend a lot of time standing in their kitchen not to mention they are very good with slip resistance. Of course the choice for aesthetics and durability for the high end kitchen remodeler is always porcelain tile. Just check with your contractor to figure out what is the best fit for your uses and budget, he should steer you in the right direction!
Of course there are a lot of little details we didn’t cover here but the main thing to remember anytime you are considering a kitchen remodel is to make sure that you find a quality remodeling contractor who will listen to your desires and your budget to find the best solutions for you.